Johnson and Johnson were ordered on Thursday to compensate $4.69 Billion to all 22 women and their families who said that contains of asbestos in talc products of the company led to ovarian cancer growth.
The Missouri court jury awarded $4.14 Billion for the punitive damages and $ 550 Million in the form of compensation losses for women who have accused the company of not making them conscious about the risks of developing cancer with use of baby and body talcum powders.
Johnson and Johnson, the creator of Johnson’s Baby Powder, said he was “deeply disappointed” by the verdict and has planned to appeal. In accordance with the regulatory requirements of last spring, the company faces more than 9,000 plaintiffs for its body powder with talc.
After a six-week probationary period, the jury in St. Louis claimed compensation for eight hours, but decided to demand compensation in about 45 Minutes, said a lawyer from the woman, Mark Lanier.
Six of the women are dead so far; the rest were in court with friends and relatives on Thursday. One of the prosecutors underwent chemotherapy and was too sick to attend, Lanier said.
“There were people hugging and crying,” he added. “It was a rather emotion-filled scene.”
Lanier said, “Johnson & Johnson over the last 40 years has smothered asbestos evidence in some of its talc-based products and should mark these products with warning signs or move on to the cornstarch.”
According to him, punitive compensation is one of the highest in the case of product liability.
Johnson and Johnson called the verdict “the product of a fundamentally unfair lawsuit”, in which 22 women took part with few connections to Missouri to form a group of plaintiffs in St. Louis.
According to the statement, the company is still convinced by the fact that its products do not contain asbestos and isn’t the reason for ovarian cancer.